Picture yourself a winner!
Attention young innovators: It's your chance to broadcast your new technology, innovation or start-up idea to the movers and shakers of the science and technology industry, attracting invaluable advice on how to turn your concept into a reality.
Showcase your idea in a three-minute video, using props or whatever creative presentation techniques you can devise. Submissions will be broadcast on YouTube, our Facebook page, OCE's Discovery website, and live at the Discovery 12 conference at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre (South Building) on May 14th and 15th, 2012. Winning submissions will receive one of three cash prizes of up to $2,500.
Don't miss your opportunity to be one of the 25 video submissions to be shown at Discovery!
Video Competition Details
- The video contest is open to all post-secondary students enrolled in technology-based programs at an Ontario university or college during the 2011/2012 academic year who are involved in related research and applied research projects.
- To enter, please complete and submit the contest entry form no later than April 2, 2012. Videos will not be eligible for prizes without the submission of a completed form.
- The video must be no longer than 3 minutes.
- Students will be responsible for the production of their video; however we encourage collaborations or partnerships with A/V or production teams.
- The research described must be part of an applied science research project - undertaken at an Ontario university or college - active sometime between April 1, 2011 and May 15, 2012 (may have been started and/or completed during that period).
- The research project described must have commercial potential.
- Students must acknowledge their research partners and industry collaborators in the opening and/or closing titles of the video.
- Your video must be uploaded to www.YouTube.com by April 30, 2012. The title must read "OCE Discovery 12 Video Contest - your video title - your school", for example, "OCE Discovery 12 Video Contest – Cool Tech – Humber College". Once your video is uploaded, please notify firstname.lastname@example.org [don't forget to do this, or your video won't be judged!]
- An OCE Discovery 12 Video Contest playlist will host all finalist videos on OCE's YouTube channel. Our judges will assess the videos using this portal.
- Please note that videos submitted without a contest entry form will not be judged.
- Contest finalists will be notified by May 4, 2012 and will receive a free pass to Discovery 12. Winners will be presented with their award during the luncheon on May 15th.
- Student Video presentations will be featured on electronic screens at the Discovery 12 Conference.
In developing the video presentation, consider the following:
- Visit the OCE's Discovery YouTube Channel to see examples of last year's videos. For last year's finalists, click here.
- Videos are intended to promote research outcomes, not to report on experimental results. The following questions will help you decide what to present in the video:
Are you able to convey your message clearly to a broad audience (i.e. academics, industry and the general public)?
Is it evident in your presentation who the contributors to this research are?
Is the flow and organization of information clear?
To enter, download the Student Video Competition entry form or email email@example.com.
- Is your research moving science and engineering forward in an innovative and interesting way?
- Does industry have a need for this research? What problem do you solve?
- What are the positive impacts of this research on society or the environment?
- Is there an industry that could commercialize the resulting technology or will this create a new market sector?
- Will this research lead to job creation or wealth for a company?
- What is the level of involvement of the partners in this research? How committed are they?
- Has the appropriate market sector been identified? Are there others that could be considered?
*** Competition Closed: April 6 ***