TORONTO – May 16, 2013 - A chocolate printer, a flexible paper-thin tablet computer, intelligent homes and cars, and robots galore!
These and many more made-in-Ontario innovations will be on display as part of Ontario Centres of Excellence’s annual Discovery conference and trade show.
Taking place May 27-28 in the South Building of the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, OCE’s Discovery is Canada’s premier innovation to commercialization event.
“Each year, Discovery brings together the best and brightest in industry, academia, investors and entrepreneurs to showcase leading-edge technologies, best practices and research,” said Dr. Tom Corr, president and CEO of OCE. “We are proud to be able to gather these groups together under one roof to help them make the kinds of connections that will lead to long-term and prosperous collaborations.”
Now in its eighth year, Discovery highlights ground-breaking work in sectors like cleantech, advanced health, digital media, information and communications technologies, and advanced manufacturing. Each year, thousands of attendees and hundreds of exhibitors make deals and find export opportunities at Discovery.
“The high level of talent and the calibre of the companies on display at Discovery are further proof that our plan for innovation and entrepreneurship in Ontario is working,” said Reza Moridi, Minister of Research and Innovation. “Our government is committed to supporting and enhancing continued growth in these areas to ensure that Ontario becomes a leader in the knowledge-based economy and that more high-paying jobs are created right here in our province.”
Premier Kathleen Wynne will tour the show and deliver opening remarks on May 27 at 1 p.m.
She will be followed by the opening keynote address delivered by Dr. Peter Diamandis, innovator, entrepreneur, futurist and founder and chairman of the X PRIZE Foundation. Dr. Diamandis will address the Coming Age of Abundance and Understanding Humanity’s Future, and Exponential Technologies Causing Disruptive Innovation.
Other Discovery 2013 Highlights Include:
- Discovery Innovation Showcase – The best and brightest of Ontario show off their new ideas, innovations and solutions in Clean Tech, Health, Digital, Information and Communications Technologies, Advanced Manufacturing and more in over 200,000 sq. feet of exhibit space.
- Ask an Expert – This event is building off last year’s Guinness World Record and will allow aspiring entrepreneurs to seek guidance from experienced advisors. This year’s Ask an Expert event will allow you to connect with expert investors, entrepreneurs, innovation agents, professional service providers and export specialists.
- Returning this year is “Book a Meeting” which allows for quiet time to make professional connections with and gain knowledge from those same experts.
- Manufacturing Zone – Panel topics include Intelligent Infrastructure and City Systems, Innovations and the Future of Manufacturing, and Mining Innovations.
- Clean Tech Zone – Learn how companies in Ontario are going green and leading the charge to a cleaner province.
- Health Zone – Companies will display the latest in new health technologies. Exhibitors include Health Parametrics Inc., Komodo Open Lab Inc. and Meal in a Jar. Life changing technologies to assist stroke and brain injury patients from MyndTec will also be on display. Home Healthcare and Personalized Medicine are just two of the great panel discussions that will be held. As well, recipients of the OCE/Ontario Brain Institute Entrepreneurship Fellowship will be named.
- Young Entrepreneurs Zone – Sponsored by OMERS, this busy area will feature nearly 100 Ontario companies developed in the nine OCE-supported Experiential Learning Program (ELP) centres representing 12 Ontario colleges and universities. A number of companies from the Federally-supported SmartStart program will also be on hand. Companies attending will include Reebee, Groupnotes and FoodStory.
- Career Zone – This zone will offer students access to job postings, resume tips and evaluation, interview preparation and a chance to meet with such employers as Bombardier, Johnson Controls and mining giant Vale. Also at this year’s Career Zone, get advice from professionals from; Brock University, University of Ontario Institute of Technology and York University. Students will be able to perfect their interview skills with Lucy Keating at her Interview Roundtables on May 27 at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. (45 minutes sessions, eight people max/session).
- Mobile Innovations @ Discovery – A new partnership with the Mobile Institute means more programming! The mobile showcase will show the best new innovations currently under development in Ontario as well as mobile industry panel discussions.
- The Digital Zone – A wondrous place filled with some current and under-development technologies sure to amaze! Some of the companies confirmed to showcase include; Queens University’s Paper Tab, Photon’s 3D Scanner, Whirlscape’s Smart Keyboard and QNX’s connected Corvette.
- Discovery Mobile App – This mobile app will act as the ultimate event guide to Discovery. The app is available on smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktops and allows you to create a personalized agenda schedule, receive event announcements, locate sessions and booths, learn about presenters and access presentations and documents before, during and after the event. To download, visit http://eventmobi.com/DISCOVERY.
Named Canada’s Best Trade Show 2010 and 2011 and now in its eighth year, OCE’s Discovery is Canada’s premier innovation showcase. It brings together the best and brightest minds in industry, academia, investment and government to showcase leading-edge technologies, best practices and research in the areas of energy, the environment, advanced health, digital media, information and communication technologies and advanced manufacturing. The annual conference and showcase attracts more than 2,500 attendees and 350 exhibitors.
About Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) Inc.
OCE drives the commercialization of cutting-edge research across key market sectors to build the economy of tomorrow and secure Ontario's global competitiveness. In doing this, OCE fosters the training and development of the next generation of innovators and entrepreneurs and is a key partner with Ontario's industry, universities, colleges, research hospitals, investors and governments. A champion of leading-edge technologies, best practices and research, OCE invests in sectors such as advanced health, digital media and information communications, advanced manufacturing and materials, and cleantech including energy, environment and water. OCE is a key partner in delivering Ontario's Innovation Agenda as a member of the province's Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs (ONE).
NB: Members of the media needing accreditation or more information should contact:
Manager, Media Relations
416-861-1092 x 1022